Pretty deep title, huh? Actually, I am trying to be both jokey and soul searching at the same time because the blog is a bit of a mess right now. I did not post a puzzle on Friday, so of course no answers yesterday. Some of the problems are technical, ie posts are out of order, wonky internet connections, cameras that won’t talk to laptops blah,blah, blah. Some problems are familial, a toddler’s illness here, a financial discussion there et al. There is also a pinch of “bit off more than I can chew”. I had puzzles ready to go before I launched this whole thing, but I’ll be damned if 17 weeks didn’t go by a wee faster than anticipated.
I am going to have to put a hold to things for a bit, and fix up some stuff around here (the blog) and here (pointing to own head). There are nuts and bolts things to work out with the blog, I am not the most tech savvy dude that ever lived, and I am short on finished puzzles right now. I would rather take some time off, clean up the blog and come back ready to go than to try and push through and keep up with haphazard or missed posts. I’m not saying that I won’t fall behind again, but this gives me the best chance to continue on another uninterupted run of puzzles.
Even though this blog is totally a hobby for me right now, I can not help but feel that this is a failure on my part. I feel that I should have been able to stay on top of things better and kept the puzzles coming. So I am disappointed in myself for not getting the job done as they say. I do know that failure is a much better teacher than success, and it is true that you learn more from your mistakes than your triumphs. So what then have I learned from doing Puzzling New York City?
- I am not a Type A personality. I am over 40 so the days of working ’til 3:00 AM are long gone, and I do not get any joy in taking time away from my family to persue this endeavor.
- I am OK with this. Whether this makes me a better or worse person I leave up to you. (Judgers)
- I will always be better at finishing tasks if there is a tangible reward. Right now there is no money in this, nor many readers. I would be pushing through if either scenario changed, especially the ladder. I am very good at working hard not to let someone else down. Right now, I have no one to let down.
- Having said all this I should still try harder. If I do attract a readership through these posts, I must have the good habits of posting regularly already in place or I will do something like this when it will matter to readers. This is my big step, putting work in without immediate results to make it smoother for my to do so when the results come in.
- 17 straight weeks of puzzles is my record. I will try and best that. See? There’s one of the artificial goals right there!
So that’s it for now. I am off to do some blog clean up, evaluate my tech issues, and uh, oh yeah, work on some puzzles. I will be back up and running on October 1, with a new puzzle October 2. See you then.
IAAI Update! 10/5/09
Guess what? I number two puzzles number 8! Woo hoo! So on the plus side my record is 18 straight weeks, but on the minus side I can’t count! This will be fixed shortly. Also, we are going to do a recap of puzzles on Oct. 1 with a new puzzle Oct. 8.